If there are any problems with pictures, go to http://www.flickr.com/photos/51435076@N02/?saved=1

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Race to the Council Member Seat



Right: James Weatherford
Far Right: Emily Naole
Below Right: Barbara Lively



The race to be Puna’s councilmember is on! Among the many districts that are spread throughout Hawaii Island, the seat for District 5, also known as “Puna Makai,” is shaping up to be one of the more contentious.

Located on the eastern side of the island, Puna Makai includes the residential areas known as Hawaiian Paradise Park, Ainaloa, Pahoa Village, Hawaiian Beaches & Shores, Nanawale, Leilani Estates, Kapoho, Kalapana, Opihikao, Kehena and Pohoiki. As the 2010 primary election approaches, four candidates are vying in the non-partisan race. In this type of race candidates participate in a run-off regardless of which political party they belong to. The top two vote getters proceed to the general election, unless one of the candidates receives 50-plus-one percent of the vote.

Hoping to advance and represent the Puna District on the council are Emily Naeole, James Weatherford, Barbara Lively and Frederick Blas. At the start of the race, there were originally five candidates in the running; one of them, Loren Baker, has since dropped out due to health issues.

Finding the problems facing Puna and resolving them is the candidates’ main focus. Some of the problems occurring in the district deal with traffic, homelessness, high unemployment, teen pregnancy and drug abuse, as well as development-related issues.

The primary election will be held September 18. Between now and then, the candidates are trying to convince district voters that they are best suited for the job. Before voters can make that decision, getting the views from each candidate is key. Of the four District 5 candidates in this year’s race, only three made themselves available for interview. Here are the questions we asked and the candidates answers.

Questions

1. What is your campaigning process/ideas?

Emily: Right now, I’m getting views from District 5 residents about certain issues in the community and using my strengths to convince people that I have confidence in my work to help the district of Puna.

James: Right now, I’m advocating and working on budget issues.

Barbara: At the moment, I’m still qualifying for the comprehensive public funding program.


2. What are your improvements/goals for the district?

Emily: At the moment, I take part in a number of community service jobs⎯helping the homeless, the drug addicts, as well as helping to feed the hungry. As the establisher of “Da Poi Bowl”, which feeds the hungry, listening and helping the people of the district is important.

James: I want to create parks and recreational areas for residents and also to maintain good facilities.

Barbara: I want to improve the representation of the district, advocate for implementation (of the Puna Community Development Plan) in the community, and improve the economic system here. With the economic improvement, I believe in creating jobs dealing with agriculture and cottage industries.


3. What's your reason for running?

Emily: I love the district, the people, and I’ve done a lot to help the community; I’m always open to new ideas.

James: With my education in economics and experience in the legislative process, I feel I’m aware of certain budget issues in the community and I know I can help stabilize business here.

Barbara: My reason for running is because I’ve worked in this community for years and with a college degree in political science, I feel that I have the skills to help the district.


4. What are your strengths for the councilmember position?

Emily: I speak the truth in every situation, and I’m not afraid of what might come next.

James: I have a lot of experience in government and I feel my maturity will help the district.

Barbara: My biggest strengths for the position are my communication and grant writing skills.



5. How will you solve the traffic problems in Puna?

Emily: Throughout my past of being in the council, I’ve used geothermal funds to set up streetlights all over the district. Also with the funds, I was able to purchase two 33-passenger buses that would help transport people ⎯ to solve the traffic problems, my plan is to fix Highway 130 which goes from Keaau to Pahoa.

James: I feel that the idea of roundabouts will decrease traffic and make roads more safe for drivers.

Barbara: My plan is to advocate and help with maintenance.



6. What would be the first issue you would oversee as part of the council?

Emily: I’m always open to new ideas to improve the district.

James: The first issue I would oversee is the budget issues in the community.

Barbara: I would oversee the implementation of the community development plan by helping with zoning changes, job creation, and preservation.



7. How are you willing to help the youth?

Emily: In the past, I’ve donated school supplies to students all across the Puna district. I also made donations to numerous high school sports.

James: My plan is to create youth programs that’ll enable them to focus on their future rather than on violence.

Barbara: As a board member of two youth programs, I’m trying my best to give the youth opportunities that’ll help them stay away from violence.



8. What steps will you take to help the youth?

Emily: Along with the past donations, helping to create programs for the youth is important.

James: Creating recreational facilities and programs for the youth that will educate them more is a step towards helping them.

Barbara: Identifying what the youth need to keep them away from violence.


9. What's your opinion on decriminalizing marijuana?


Emily: I’m for decriminalizing marijuana.

James: Yes, I’m up for decriminalizing marijuana.

Barbara: I’m for decriminalizing marijuana but I’m against legalizing it.


Now that these candidates have given their views on certain topics, keep in mind, the primary election will be held September 18 and the general election is November 2. It’s your time to choose who you trust as the next District 5 county council member.

No comments:

Post a Comment